Embedded Software Engineer
In this role, as a technical expert you will be part of a team of embedded firmware engineers working collaboratively to develop electronics, communication interface and controls software for our range of Load banks and Dynamometers, manufactured in the UK or in the US locations. This position will be responsible for requirements analysis, specification, design, coding, debugging and documentation.
We are looking for a positive, confident, self-motivated, passionate individual with a strong desire to work in a team based collaborative design environment to help us develop next generation technologies, aligning our products with industry standards in fault finding and Cloud Connectivity.
If you are interested in learning about Networking protocols, embedded real-time applications, have strong aspirations for independent and collaborative software development, and are excited about contributing to a world-class product, then this is the position for you.
- Collaborate in the architecture, design, implementation, and maintenance of firmware.
- Develop detailed requirements and specifications based on product and system requirements, working with marketing managers, engineering project managers, and other multi-discipline technical leaders in multiple locations world-wide.
- Works closely within a team of embedded firmware engineers and system engineers, technicians, external subcontractors and consultants to implement specified functionality.
- Promotes and embraces the Test-Driven Development (TDD) methodology.
- Programming for embedded systems in C/C++.
- Follows established development guidelines and standards and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Writes test plans and conducts design verification tests. Debugs firmware based on test results and issues identified by testers.
- Maintain current coding systems and platforms.
- Creation of production and engineering documents, approvals and bills of materials (BOM) including full life cycle software development.
- Value engineering.
- Keeps abreast and well-informed on new developments and systems through codes and standards, technical conferences, professional societies and communications with suppliers and customers within the industry.
- Ensure all Cybersecurity procedures are followed and requirements are met.
- Work with the engineering team and third-party product certification to ensure product compliance with the regulatory environment to include CE and other agencies.
- Ensure all Statutory and Corporate Health and Safety, Environmental, Quality System and International Trade Compliance procedures are followed, and requirements are met.
- Maintain Company standards, behaving in an ethical and professional manner in all business activities.
- HNC/HND or Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Software Engineering with 3+ years hands-on experience.
- Knowledge and experience of embedded microcontroller systems and firmware.
- Experience with digital communication interfaces such as CAN, RS-485, RS232, USB and/or others.
- Experience with wireless communication protocols such as Bluetooth and Zigbee.
- Experience with communication protocols such as CANopen, Modbus and Profibus.
- Software Languages: C, C++.
- Software application revision control and software unit testing.
- Industrial Low Voltage experience would be beneficial.
- Organizational and interpersonal skills and leadership abilities.
- Excellent writing and presentational skills.